INSPIRATION WRITING TIPS

7 Reasons To KEEP WRITING When You Feel Like Giving Up

Every writer faces it at one time or another: doubt, discouragement, fear, hesitation…basically the feeling of wanting to give up on your novel. Sometimes the last think we want to do is keep writing. Why? Well, I think it has a lot to do with writing itself; writers are introspective by nature. We have supercharged imaginations, and sometimes that can come back to bite us. Because when we start to think that maybe our books are worth giving up on, something in us actually accepts that idea as truth.

BUT I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT IT IS NOT TRUTH. It’s just doubt or discouragement or fear or hesitation. Whether you’re in the middle of NaNoWriMo, or chipping away at a work-in-progress, I have a feeling you might be at this place: trying to resist the urge to give up on your book.

This is not going to be a self-improvement kind of post. This is going to be an elixir of encouragement and inspiration to get you back on your feet and thinking good thoughts about your novel. If you ever doubt your art AT ALL, I hope this post will help you. And if all else fails, EAT SOME WAFFLES. I know that’s always an uplifting experience for me. Let’s go!

REASON #1: BECAUSE YOUR BOOK IS UNIQUE, EVEN IF IT’S NOT

Even if you feel like there’s nothing unique about your book – because you’ve seen everything done before – know that there is something special in your words, your style, your voice. It’s true: A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE. But even if your story is simply made up of elements from a whole bunch of other stories, yours is still unique! Why? Because it’s a new collection of those things.

Think about any recipe under the sun – chefs aren’t inventing new ingredients for their recipes, are they? No. They’re just inventing new combinations. Because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. As Austin Kleon says in his book Steal Like An Artist: “Every new idea is just a mashup or a remix of one or more previous ideas.” A lack of uniqueness is no reason why your book shouldn’t be successful, awesome, or… you know… WRITTEN. 😉

REASON #2: BECAUSE YOU WERE PASSIONATE ENOUGH TO START IT

One of the worst feelings an artist can experience is a lack of drive to create. If you’re a writer, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about: that feeling of deep, dark, existential dread – that feeling of scrolling through Pinterest while curled up on your bedroom floor in the fetal position IN A PUDDLE OF YOUR OWN TEARS BECAUSE YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE WRITING ANYMORE.

But here’s the thing: you were passionate enough to start writing that book! Your creative genius was like “BRO WE HAVE TO JUST GO FOR IT” and voila, your WIP was born. If you were passionate enough about this idea to start building it from the ground up, YOU’RE SERIOUS. You’re driven! I don’t care how tired and bored and burnt out you feel right now, YOU ARE A CREATIVE HUMAN WITH A PASSION FOR WHAT YOU MAKE. And that passion hasn’t abandoned you. All you have to do is remember why you started writing it. Reignite your drive.

REASON #3: BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING

A lot of times, I struggle with feeling unqualified and lost. Sometimes I don’t even know much about what I’m writing. I’m not an expert (at anything, really.) But here’s the cool thing: you’re reading this blog post. Which means you know how to read. Which means you can Google anything (or just ask Siri) and figure out whatever it is you feel “unqualified” for not knowing.

The only reason why other people are more qualified in a specific topic is because they have spent more time studying that topic. Show me one Civil War historian who was actually a part of the Civil War; show me one doctor who has actually experienced every symptom of every disease; show me one physicist who has actually observed the ends of the universe with their own eyes. Experts often don’t learn from experience. Experts more often learn from reading and exploring. And yeah, sometimes it’s a lot to learn. But you know what you’re doing! And the cool thing is: you have the ability to know even more.

REASON #4: BECAUSE IT’S GOING TO BE SOMEONE’S FAVORITE BOOK ONE DAY

To me, this is one of the coolest and most motivating reasons to keep writing your book – because one day, someone is going to read it! THEY’RE LITERALLY GOING TO READ ALL THOSE SCENES AND CHARACTERS AND CONVERSATIONS YOU PLAYED OVER AND OVER IN YOUR BRAIN. That, in and of itself, is a phenomenon… but imagine that future reader saying, “This is my favorite book!” You’ve got to visualize this stuff, my friend. I know you have an incredible imagination (you can’t hide it from me MUAHAHAHA) so see it in your mind’s eye! Imagine your book, published and sitting on a shelf next to some of your favorite books of all time. (This is 1000% possible!)

So if you can’t muster up the passion to do it for yourself, DO IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE. If you persevere and try your best, there’s no reason why your book can’t be successful. And there’s no reason why it can’t be someone’s favorite one day.

REASON #5: BECAUSE YOU CAN’T EVEN SEE HOW AWESOME IT IS

You know why you think your book is rubbish?? BECAUSE YOU’RE THE ONLY PERSON ON EARTH WHO HAS READ IT EIGHT BILLION TIMES. Just think about how scary that is for a minute: the person with the highest authority on what happens to your book (you) is also the person with the most clouded opinion of said book. Not because you have a clouded opinion in general, but because we will always be quicker to judge, deprecate, and BURN AT THE STAKE our own thing. We’re rather changeable, us artists…
this gif doesn’t really have anything to do with what we’re talking about i just wanted a reason to use it

This is why it’s so important to have a writing support group – or at least a few super close friends who will tell you the truth about your ideas (and whom you trust with your precious ideas.) I wouldn’t be able to write ANYTHING were it not for the wonderful encouragement I constantly receive from my sister, whom is privy to LITERALLY ALL MY IDEAS EVER. We bounce thoughts off each other all the time, and always come up with some pretty awesome results.* She’s also known to make my ideas even better and help me fill in plot holes I didn’t even see in the first place. Basically, GET YOURSELF A WRITING PARTNER. But you can’t have my sister. She’s 10000% MINE thank you and goodnight.

*like casual plans to take over the world, that sort of thing

REASON #6: BECAUSE YOU LOVE WRITING

When we weigh ourselves down with challenges and statistics and deadlines we often forget the real reason why we chose to be writers in the first place: BECAUSE WRITING BRINGS US JOY. Sometimes the best way to climb out of a writing slump is to remind yourself of the simple truth: “Hey, you know what? I actually really enjoy writing.” I’m amazed by how many times I get so caught up in the stress of writing that I forget how much fun it actually is.

There’s a lot of reasons why we start writing projects. But when the fiery drive and passion for your project begins to fade, what do you have to motivate you? YOUR LOVE FOR YOUR ART. And that can never be taken away from you. Don’t worry about anything else – just focus on the joy that writing brings you. Because, in the end, happy artists are the most creative artists.

REASON #7: BECAUSE I’M GOING TO KEEP WRITING EVEN WHEN I FEEL LIKE GIVING UP

IT’S TIME FOR SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED ACCOUNTABILITY. If I stick this thing out, so do you! Don’t go quittin’ on me, son. I pledge to keep writing even when I feel like giving up. It’s not going to be easy, but it’s going to be SO WORTH IT. And I’ve discovered through my own experience that the more I practice pushing through my writing slumps, the less slumps I encounter. Of course, I’m just like any other human – I face doubts and fears and insecurities; I deprecate my own writing from time to time, and think that my ideas aren’t unique enough. But then I remind myself of all the reasons to keep going… the reasons I just gave you.

So I hope this post has given you some encouragement. I hope you DON’T give up on that beautiful book you’re writing. I hope you sprint to the finish line with a smile on your face.

TALK, BRO

Have you been struggling with writing lately? Are you in the middle of NaNoWriMo and feeling overwhelmed? Add to this list! What’s YOUR reason to not give up on your beautiful book? Share this post with someone you think might need it! And let’s chat about writing in the comments below!

rock on,

abbiee

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

45 Comments

• Reply Ivie Brooks

My reason to not give up, even when its hard to press on: Writing, to me, is like breathing. Am I truly breathing if I'm not writing? Maybe, but without writing, I don't know what I would be. I think about my life before writing and it seemed like I had more time on my hands. But what is more time compared to well spent time?

Thanks for this post. Its awesome as usual!!! <3 <3

~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

November 25, 2017 at 1:46 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

THAT IS AN AWESOME AND NOBLE AND BEAUTIFUL REASON TO KEEP WRITING <333 I feel so much the same way!! Writing really is like breathing. and even though it is time-consuming it's SO AWESOME. :'''') so glad this post inspired you, Ivie!!

November 27, 2017 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply Clara (clara-and-co.com)

Hey there, Abbiee! My name is Clara, and I'm an online friend of Sarah's (for-all-who-wander.blogspot.com). She has a birthday tomorrow, and I've been gathering birthday messages from a bunch of her blogging friends to add to the birthday post I'm doing for her. Is there anything from you that you'd like me to add to the post? 😀
    Thanks so much!!

-Clara <3
    clara-and-co.com

November 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

Ahhh that's so much fun! 😀 I'M SAD THAT I MISSED YOUR POST THOUGH. I'll totally go over to your blog and read it!! <3 *hugs* thank you for thinking of me!

November 27, 2017 at 4:22 pm
  • Reply Riley Rawls

THE IDEA OF MY BOOK BEING SOMEONE'S FAVORITE IS…like, totally amazing! That definitely keeps me motivated. And's definitely hard to think my book is worth anything when it feels like everything has been written, so thanks for the first tip! Because that's a hard one.

My biggest frustration with NaNoWriMo is getting done (I'm driving my family nuts being a hermit), and hoping I reach 50k (I think I will at this point, but. I ALWAYS HAVE SUCH SHORT NOVELS.)

This post was so encouraging, Abbiee!! Thanks for the tips!

November 25, 2017 at 2:37 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

I FEEL YA RILEY… it's so hard to think your book is unique when there seems to be so many other things like it… :') that's definitely something I struggle with a lot. I'M GLAD I'M NOT ALONE. and I'm so glad this post inspired you!! *high fives* GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF NANO! I'm sure you'll to fabulously!!

November 27, 2017 at 4:25 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

P.S. can I have a link to your blog?? I can't seem to find it anywhere! 😀

November 27, 2017 at 4:26 pm
  • Reply Lydia S

OH MY! I needed this! Thank you so much for keeping me encoursged:)Also THANK YOU for the Chip and Joanna gif! That make my day! XD
    Lydia

November 25, 2017 at 3:19 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

Thank you so much!! I'M SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED THIS POST <333 and hahahah so glad you appreciate that gif!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH. :')

November 27, 2017 at 4:26 pm
  • Reply Evangeline Yackel

GOOD POST. I need this post taped up on my bedroom mirror. XD Right now I'm at a place where I know I love writing, but also…I DON'T WANNA.

November 25, 2017 at 3:58 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

"Right now I'm at a place where I know I love writing, but also…I DON'T WANNA." <<<< I FEEL YA SO HARD, EVANGELINE. :''') the struggle is real. But eeeeep I'm so glad this post inspired you!!

November 27, 2017 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply Emily Y

I REALLY needed this!! Bless you!
    I have been in such a writing slump. The book I am rewriting I have been working on for five years now, and I just keep rewriting and editing and rewriting some more and this past week I've been a little afraid that I lost all passion for this story, and that I don't even know what it is about anymore.
    Yesterday, I started completely replotting (again), and I am starting to like the idea again, but I am having the hardest time brainstorming a solution to a plot hole! ��
    This post is veeeeery encouraging, though, and I will push through and figure out this slump!! ��

Emily Y
    emilyywrites.wordpress.com

November 25, 2017 at 4:03 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

EEEEP I'M SO HAPPY THIS POST INSPIRED YOU, EMILY. <333 that brightens my day so much!! 😀 and I totally know what you mean…. I've definitely felt the same way about some of my writing projects!! It's like you're almost too close to see what's wrong with them? or how to fix them. XD THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. But I'm sure you'll get through this, girl!! *high fives* I BELIEVE IN YOU. <3

November 27, 2017 at 4:30 pm
  • Reply Amelia Ruth

WHOA. WHOA. WHOA. WHOA. WHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA GIRLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! I think this is my favorite post you have ever done, not because it's the best in quality, not because it's better than any other of your fantastical posts, but because I REALLY NEEDED THIS SWULIGYDUGWNLUGKKHCFTYWDGKBAJDHY. YES I have been struggling with writing! And this just picked me up from the deep dark dungeon of despair, so GET READY WORLD I'M WRITING AGAIN THANKS TO ABBIEEEEEEE!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 *not enough hearts in the world girlie* <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 xD

November 25, 2017 at 4:06 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

JDKALSJKFAHDALKJSKLFJKLSIDJL;AZ'C/CL;ALDSKDSANDKLJVIJAS AMELIA RUTH!!!!! I CANNOT EVEN BREATHE RN :''''''''''') THIS COMMENT JUST PUT THE HUGEST SMILE ON MY FACE!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I'M SO HAPPY THIS POST INSPIRED YOU!! WOW <3 JUST <3 CAN <3 I <3 HUG <3 YOU <3 ?????? btw I need your blog link!! I CAN'T FIND IT and I need your blog in my life so 😉

November 27, 2017 at 4:34 pm
  • Reply Ella Marie

"Because it's going to be someones favorite book someday." Yes, yes, yessss! I love that one! <3 And somehow, I've never thought of it before… But I really love it. Also, that gif is fabulous! It literally made me smile and now I'm smiling again because I'm thinking about it. Do you watch Fixer Upper?

~ Ella Marie

November 25, 2017 at 6:07 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

EEEEP SO HAPPY THIS POST INSPIRED YOU, ELLA MARIE <3 *hugs* yes I watch Fixer Upper all the time! IT'S BASICALLY THE ONLY TV SHOW I WATCH HAHAHA :''') so glad you appreciated that gif!! haha thank you for reading, girl!!

November 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Katie Manning

HORRENDOUSLY ENCOURAGING YOU BEAUTIFUL ROCK STAR, BEAUTY QUEEN, SPORTS FIGURE <3

November 25, 2017 at 6:15 pm

HAHAHA SPORTS FIGURE HAHAHAHA

November 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Musicgirl121

Ugh, 5 days left of NaNo and I still have 10k left before I make my goal of 30k…and I'm not a fast writer so this will be an interesting 5 days. 😐

November 26, 2017 at 7:03 am

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!!! <3 *hugs and waffles*

November 27, 2017 at 4:36 pm
    • Reply Musicgirl121

THANK YOU, ABBIEE!! *accepts waffles**hugs you back* <3

November 27, 2017 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply Keira

Let me tell you, I LOVE WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT CREATING NEW COMBINATIONS. It's easy to feel like there is no originality left in the world, and maybe there isn't. The word "original" comes from "origin" – which means that your work is original because you created it. It's like saying that a book is "authored," because you are it's "author". <<< (I learned all that from Julia Cameron, so don't think it just made it up, ha).

I think there's a lot to be said for perseverance. I don't think we realize how much of art is getting up and doing the thing no matter how you feel. And that pays off in the long run because you get better and better at working through those dry places.

k.

November 26, 2017 at 6:43 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

WHOA I LOVE THAT THOUGHT PROCESS ABOUT ORIGINALITY!! <3333 that's awesome and so true. it's so easy to get discouraged when you feel like your thing isn't super unique. BUT NOTHING IS UNIQUE HAHHAA and then at the same time everything is unique!! AAAAH. :') and yes I agree 100000% about perseverance!! some days I don't feel like writing AT ALL and then I force myself to sit down and write and it actually comes out really good??? AND THEN I'M LIKE "WHAT IF I DIDN'T WRITE???" so now I always try to persevere even if I feel like quitting. xD thank you so much for reading, Keira!!! YOU'RE SUCH AN INSPIRATION.

November 27, 2017 at 4:45 pm
  • Reply Kendra Lynne

Dude. This post… it is one of THE most inspirational posts on writing I have ever read.
    I am in the midst of actually STARTING my WIP. And lately, I have been wondering if I'm really meant o be a writer at all or if my story will ever be worth reading (because most of the time, I sure don't think so).
    And then, like a lantern helping to light a writer's way, comes your post. And boy have I needed it!!
    All of those reasons… I love them. They almost made me want to cry because remembering them is almost like having Sam help you climb the Mt. Doom of writing. (if you've read The Lord of the Rings you'll understand)
    Thank you so much for this post. *hugs you tearfully*
    ~Kendra

November 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

AAAAH THANK YOU SO MUCH KENRA <3333 WOW THIS COMMENT JUST BRIGHTENED MY DAY X100000000 !!! I'M SO GLAD THIS POST INSPIRED YOU!! :''''') literally wow I can't slfksdjlsakjd EVEN *hugs you and gives you waffles* YOU CAN DO THIS THING!!! (and no I haven't read LOTR but I want to!! haha) <3

November 27, 2017 at 4:53 pm
  • Reply Erin Marie

Some solid advice here, Abbie! I can't even imagine someone picking up my book at a library or bookstore and saying that it's their favorite. That is unfathomable. Thank you for the encouragement. <3 I loved this. 🙂

November 26, 2017 at 9:08 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

ERIN YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT BECAUSE I WILL DOUBTLESS PICK UP YOUR BOOK ONE DAY AND SAY IT'S MY FAVORITE <333333 *high fives* I'm so glad this post encouraged you!! :')

November 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm
  • Reply Abby M.

YES!! So much truth here, I love it. I'm writing slowly but surely, and luckily thoughts of giving up haven't crossed my mind yet, but this post still got me excited to write more!!

November 26, 2017 at 9:35 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE THIS POST, ABBY!! <3333 and that is awesome that you're still going strong!! *high fives* I BELIEVE IN YOU!

November 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm
  • Reply Lisa // Inkwell

Thanks bro <333 We all need this 😀

November 26, 2017 at 11:00 pm

November 27, 2017 at 4:55 pm
  • Reply Katie Manning

:') I love this post and you

November 26, 2017 at 11:32 pm

LOVE YOU MORE

November 27, 2017 at 4:55 pm
  • Reply Sophy Noelle

SO ENCOURAGING. I REALLYYYY NEEDED THIS. <3 <3

November 27, 2017 at 12:44 am

I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED THIS POST SOPHY!!! <3333

November 27, 2017 at 4:56 pm
  • Reply Gray Marie

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I needed this thank you so much, you're amazing. <3

November 27, 2017 at 3:33 am
    • Reply Abbiee

ASDFGHJKSKLJD THANK YOU GRAY <3 I'M SO HAPPY THIS INSPIRED YOU !!!

November 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm
  • Reply Meaghan Rutherford

Definitely had trouble lately with this. Life wears you down, and it's hard to keep the energy to write, even if it gives you back energy in the end. Thank you for this <3

November 29, 2017 at 4:55 am
  • Reply Olivia Michelle

Love what you said in your first point … about chefs not inventing ingredients, just inventing new combinations!! This is so life-giving … maybe the elements of my story aren't new, but my story itself is still special! Thanks for that 🙂

December 1, 2017 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Olivia Knight

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ya i love this and you a lot and thank you

December 9, 2017 at 4:30 pm
  • Reply Grace Osas

I discovered that if a writer can write an entire novel in one month…. what are they able to do in two or three months?

Though I didn't write EVERY day in November, it really got me into the habit of writing.

And I hope all goes well for self publishing! You can do this <3

December 10, 2017 at 8:34 am
  • Reply Madison Grace

*commences evil plans for commenting on all your recent blog posts*

Aww, this is so true! I’ve hit a lot of rough spots with my WIP lately, but the reasons to continue always outweigh the struggles. I LOVE the reason of “because it’s going to be someone’s favorite book one day”! OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO SWEET AWW. I’m literally about to go write so that will driving me on through today’s tough spots — thanks for this gorgeous post! It’s AMAZING.

Madi

January 19, 2018 at 6:04 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

MADISON YOUR COMMENTS ARE MAKING MY DAY SO MUCH BRIGHTER 💛💛💛 THANK YOU!! *hugs* I’m so glad this post inspired you! that was my favorite reason too omg :’) ASDFGHJKL YOU’RE THE BEST *gives you all the waffles*

January 19, 2018 at 8:55 pm