INSPIRATION PRODUCTIVITY

Why You Should STOP MAKING GOALS For 2018 (The Advice You Probably Won’t Hear From Anybody Else)

I promise I’m not trying to make clickbait with that title. I just couldn’t think of a good title to embody what I’m talking about today. SO HERE YOU GO: AN OMINOUS OPENING TO A (HOPEFULLY) INSPIRATIONAL POST. I suppose the next thing you’re expecting me to say is: the world is going to end in 2018 so… no need to make any goals. But, surprisingly, we’re not talking about the apocalypse today! We’re talking about something much scarier: YOUR BRAIN.

The new year has to be one of my favorite seasons of all. Not because it’s a cold and desolate tundra outside my window, but because the beginning of a new year always feels so FILLED WITH POSSIBILITY. It’s the feeling of starting afresh with a blank slate and IT’S TIME TO CHASE YOUR DREAMS.

If you’ve known me for any amount of time, you know that I’m a planner.* I love to set goals, make plans, dream big, reach for the stars. I love to overcommit and overachieve and impress myself with my own accomplishments. But…that doesn’t always happen. BECAUSE I’M HUMAN, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I fall short of my goals all the time. I procrastinate, I lose motivation, I even give up on myself sometimes. And whenever that happens, I am overcome with guilt. How can we stop this from happening? There was a time when I might have replied to that question with: “just accomplish the goal!” …but now I have a different answer: look at the to do lists you’ve been throwing away.

*like a literal booklet with a weekly calendar written inside. hi.

LOOK IN YOUR WASTEBASKET

The new year can be an inspirational time, but it can also be discouraging. It can make you think about all the goals you didn’t achieve, all the dreams you didn’t chase, all the work you procrastinated… the new year can be frustrating because it makes you think about LAST YEAR at this time, when you set all these goals, only to watch them fall to ruin. But if you’re anything like me, you might have something I like to call Crossed Off List Syndrome™. It’s what happens when you make a list and cross off the things that you accomplished, then throw the list into the wastebasket, never to be seen again. THAT’S WHAT MOST PEOPLE DO, RIGHT? Most people don’t look at their crossed off lists, right? Well… I’m proposing that we should.
The first of January is always a promising day – filled with exciting prospects for the 364 days that follow. But how encouraging is it to move your unfinished 2017 goals over to your new 2018 goals list? You feel kind of like “I accomplished nothing this year,” don’t you? I know that I do. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO NOT FEEL LIKE A FAILURE THIS YEAR?? Well, read on, my friend. Because I’m going to show you how. (And this is something that I haven’t seen anyone else talk about before, so… I like to think I’m super original. *sparkle sound effects*)

FIRST, STOP MAKING GOALS FOR 2018

CHILL. IT’S NOT AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS. YOU CAN RESUME MAKING YOUR GOALS AFTER YOU FINISH READING THIS BLOG POST. Here’s the deal: goals are awesome. Goals are the stuff of life!! I COULD LIVE ON GOALS ALONE. No food, no water, no oxygen – just goals. BUT. It’s important to stop for a moment and take a look around and see where exactly you spend most of your time. Past, present, or future?
I’m mostly a future-dweller. I LIVE FOR TOMORROW. AND IT’S NOT HEALTHY. (Please don’t follow my bad example.) I love planning and making goals SO MUCH that I tend to forget about the present moment…and the cool things that have happened in the past.
So, I have to literally stop myself from making new goals and force myself to look back. And that’s when I discover something cool: I ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED WAY MORE THAN I THINK I DID. And, to be honest, I didn’t notice this until I wrote my last three posts about the various things I learned in 2017. I didn’t notice this until I made lists. (that’s my buzzword right there…LISTS AND WAFFLES AND INSPIRATION WOOOOOOOOO!!!!1 *confetti explodes from the woodwork*)

NEXT, MAKE A LIST

A NEW KIND OF LIST. A LIST THAT YOU’VE PROBABLY NEVER MADE BEFORE. It’s time to make a list of all the things you accomplished in 2017. Maybe you didn’t achieve all your goals or stick with all your resolutions – maybe you just did three or two or one. WHATEVER. Write it down. Write down the things that you’ve crossed off your lists this year. Write down the things in the wastebasket because YOU WILL FEEL LIKE A FAILURE UNTIL YOU DO. Make this list… and then (if you feel like it) POST IT IN A COMMENT BELOW. I would love love love to hear all about the things you’ve accomplished in 2017. This is no time for modesty!! I ENCOURAGE YOU TO BRAG. Or just make a list for your eyes only. You’ll be amazed by how good it feels.

WHY SHOULD YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS MORE THAN YOUR GOALS?

Because it literally affects your brain and the kind of person you are in a frighteningly physical way. You become what you think about. It’s science. It is ACTUAL FREAKING SCIENCE. Which means you need to be focusing on the things that PROVE you are capable, strong, incredible, talented, beautiful… you need to feel PROUD OF YOURSELF in order to continue being the kind of person you want to be.
A lot of people see Dreams™ as distant fantasies – a lot of people make goals that are easy and tangible because they don’t actually believe that they can accomplish the incredible, the unthinkable, the outstanding. A lot of people shoot for what they KNOW they can hit. But you want to stand outside of that norm, don’t you? You want to be different* – you want to be the kind of person you feel in your heart that you were MEANT to be.
Do you want to accomplish the incredible? Start thinking that you ARE incredible. Don’t look at your unfinished goals and think “I’m a failure… I’ll never be able to stick with my new year’s resolutions…” < HOW TOXIC IS THAT. When you think about failure, you’re setting yourself up for failure. But when you choose to see the positive, the good, the talent and potential BURSTING out of you – THEN you are setting yourself up to win and accomplish and soar to the finish line.
*that’s a statement, my dear. you can’t have read this far and not be different in a TOTALLY AWESOME AND STELLARIFIC WAY !!! You’re a superhero. Believe in yourself, dang it!

SO WHAT IS THE POINT?

The point is: you are capable of more than you could ever imagine. When you look at your shortcomings and failures and decide what kind of person you are BASED ON THAT… it’s only going to bring you down. STOP THIS VICIOUS CYCLE. Stop setting goals just because you feel like you failed. Instead, pause. Pause for a minute a look around you. Look back at 2017. See everything that you’ve accomplished. I don’t care if it’s epic or miniscule, LOOK AT IT. Write it down. Make a list of the goals you’ve reached. Take a whole day – maybe even a WHOLE WEEK – to do nothing but look at that list and smile and say to yourself, “you know what? I’M PRETTY AWESOME.” Start your new year from THAT perspective. You will feel empowered to be better, not pressured to avoid failure. You will feel capable of anything…and you know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE.

Go conquer the world, my friend.

2018 is your year.

I believe in you.

TALK, BRO

Make a list of all the things you accomplished and post it in the comments below! I would love to talk about everything you did this year. ALSO: what are your goals for 2018??? Remember: THE SKY’S THE LIMIT. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!

rock on,
abbiee

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

56 Comments

• Reply Ivie Brooks

Let's see, I accomplished a few major things this year.
    -I graduated high school. (I can't wrap my head around being an adult. It's too weird)
    – I FINALLY let my alpha reader actually, you know, read my book. (crossing fingers for publishing in summer of 2018)
    – I CAN DRIVE!! (I got my adult permit because I'm late to the driving game due to stubbornness. XD)
    – I started a blog back in May!! Its odd to think the first part of the year, I didn't have a pen-name (well, I did, but I knew I had to change it thanks to finding out what the original pen name was tied to), I barely had confidence in my writing, and I didn't have a blog in the AMAZING writing community.

Now, I think my writing's good, I've met the writing community, and I'm so close to publishing!!!

I'm kind of freaking out right now!!

Awesome post, as usual. This is super motivating, honestly. I can't wait to see what 2018 has for us all!!

<3 <3

~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

December 30, 2017 at 1:51 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

WOW IVIE YOU ACCOMPLISHED SO MUCH!! You should seriously be SO PROUD OF YOURSELF. Those are some big steps! And I'm so glad you are here in the writing/blogging community!! It's such an encouraging and lovely environment. 🙂 *ALL THE HIGH FIVES* CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR AWESOME 2017. And I wish you all the best for this year, too! I CAN'T WAIT TO BUY YOUR BOOK OMG <3333

January 3, 2018 at 1:01 pm
    • Reply Ivie Brooks

THANK YOU! I'm so happy I joined in on the amazing writing community.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ IT!! AND THIS IS SO ENCOURAGING TO ME, THANK YOU!! <3<3

January 4, 2018 at 2:11 pm
  • Reply Riley Rawls

YESSSSSSSSS! Yes to all of this! I've been thinking about this kind of thing lately. I feel like so many people don't put in the effort to succeed because they're so afraid of failing. Annnnd my new favorite thing: "You will feel empowered to be better, not pressured to avoid failure."

First off, CONGRATS ON ALL THE THINGS YOU ACCOMPLISHED THIS YEAR! Seriously girl, all the writing and the music = EPICNESS. And your BLOG. Just found it a little over a month ago and WOW. You got me sucked in 😉

1. I started my blog.
    2. I started playing piano for my youth praise team.
    3. I co-taught the VBS kindergarten class- big one because I just as easily could've sat there like wut r werds.
    4. I published my first novella.
    5. I won NaNoWriMo.

My goals. Wow. Uh. Well, my goal verse is Philippians 4:4-8. And my "word" for the year is forgiveness. Writing wise, I'm planning to work on lots of first drafts.

I hope you have a fantastic year in 2018, Abbiee!!

December 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

AHHH RILEY THANK YOU SO MUCH <333 I'M SO HAPPY YOU ENJOYED THIS POST!! *hugs* asdfglsdjalk so blessed by you omg :''') EEEP IT WAS A BIG YEAR FOR ME HAHA ^.^ thank you so much, girl! that really means a lot. And I'm so happy you're here!! WOWZA YOU ACCOMPLISHED SO MUCH IN 2017!! Publishing a novella?? YOU GO GIRL. and finishing NaNo is a huge success! *fist bump*

Ooooh I like that you have a verse for your new year and a word… that's a super cool idea! BEST OF LUCK WITH THOSE FIRST DRAFTS. 😉 if anyone can do it, you can!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH RILEY

January 3, 2018 at 1:06 pm
  • Reply Amelia Ruth

I am such a list-y person. Like, lists about everything because (one), I hate being unorganized and (two) I'm a perfectionist and I hate it.
    This year I accomplished way more internally than externally. It was probably one of the biggest learning-curve-years of my entire life. I learned WAYWAYWAYYYY more about myself than I ever thought possible. I learned about what I really wanting in my novel, and what I really wanted in my blogging. I learned a ton about character, MY character, and other people's character. I learned about my style in clothing and in art and drawing, my voice developed like nuts, I got the lead part in the performance my theater is doing, I got a weekly babysitting job every Thursday, after a solid two/three years I FINALLY was allowed to get a really fancy DSLR!!!!! (Canon Rebel EOS SL2 xDDDD). I feel like I'm totally bragging right now….ugh. xP
    GOALS: WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE LIKE A MANIAC!!!!!!! For half of the year I was writing something that was totally bad and basically the plot of someone else's story, for three months after that I wasn't writing at all, for the last two months of 2017 God really opened my eyes to what I was doing. Also, your post reallyyyyyyy inspired me — the one about finishing NanoWrimo?? Well, that's when I learned everything I wanted in a story. Tragedy, love, redemption, salvation, best friends, getting kicked down and staying there, getting kicked down and popping right back up.
    UGH LIKE GOSH WHERE IS YOUR BLASTED EMAIL I WANT TO INVITE YOU TO MY BLOG!!!!!!!

December 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm
    • Reply Amelia Ruth

And yep, you can probably tell which comments are probably mine because they're so freakishly long. *sorryyyyyyyyyyy*

December 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm
    • Reply Amelia Ruth

And yep, I'm a writer because I use "probably" in a 16 words sentence. *walks away and slaps face*

December 30, 2017 at 3:47 pm
    • Reply Amelia Ruth

*TWICE. (AND IMMA STOP COMMENTING NOW I'M SORRY IF I'M CREEPING YOU OUT….???!!!?)

December 30, 2017 at 3:47 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

HAHAHA AMELIA RUTH YOU COULD NEVER CREEP ME OUT!! *hugs* YOU'RE LITERALLY THE BEST AND I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS SO MUCH BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAY. <3 <3 <3 and oh my gosh!!!!! LOOK AT EVERYTHING YOU ACCOMPLISHED IN 2017 !! WOWZA YOU GO GIRL!! *awards you all the waffles* seriously, that's awesome. and I feel like this year was a HUGE self-development year for me, too. I learned so much about what I want and the kind of person I want to be and the kind of life I want to have… like whoa THANK YOU LORD. <3 such goodness everywhere. :")

ASDFGHJKSLDJLASJ I'M SO GLAD MY POST ABOUT NANO INSPIRED YOU!! WOW I AM JUST HONORED <3 tbh that's one of my favorite things to write about. The world needs more of this theme so please write ALL THE BOOKS WITH THIS THEME!! *high fives* and I wrote my email in my last comment to you but you can also find it on my about page: abbieemusic@gmail.com 🙂 EEEEP HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I HOPE IT'S AN EPIC ONE.

January 3, 2018 at 1:21 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

OH OH ABOUT THE CAMERA: that's so cool!!!!!! *fist bump* I was just looking at the SL2s the other day! DID YOU GET THE WHITE ONE OR THE BLACK ONE ??? 😀

January 3, 2018 at 5:57 pm
    • Reply Amelia Ruth

MANNNNNN I FEEL LIKE SO LOVED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! *all da hugs in da world* Gosh I love this blog. *smiles*
      My older sister got the white one but I got the black one because I like the sleek, classic look. xDDD MAN you are the most encouraging person ever!!! You're filling my mind with hearts and hugs. <3333

January 4, 2018 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply MaryShelley Reid

Yes!! I literally just started making my 2018 goals yesterday and felt so hopeless, because they're all carry-over goals from 2017. I'm going to take your advice right now and go make that list 🙂
    Thanks for your words of wisdom, friend!

December 30, 2017 at 4:10 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

AW I'M SO GLAD THIS POST CAME AT THE RIGHT TIME FOR YOU <333 you're the best, Mary Shelley!! I HOPE YOU HAVE AN EPIC YEAR *hugs*

January 3, 2018 at 6:06 pm
  • Reply Hailey Hudson

Yessss I love this! I've always had a weird feeling that New Year's Resolutions don't actually help as much as they hurt… so thanks for explaining it for me. 😉

Hailey

December 30, 2017 at 4:13 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

YAAAAS <3 I'm so glad you can relate, Hailey! *hugs* Have a blessed new year!!

January 3, 2018 at 6:08 pm
  • Reply Grace

AMAZING GRACE GIF!!!!! (Sorry that's one of my favorite movies of all time ahem)

What did I accomplish this year?
    -Hit 150 blog followers
    -Finally wrote a blog series on dating which I have a lot of thoughts about so yeah
    -Did my first guest post and my first giveaway!
    -Wrote, rewrote, rewrote, (rewrote, rewrote…) and edited a novella
    -Went to a program away from home, for the first time, and then went to ANOTHER one later, and loved them both
    -Helped my friends run a two-week ballet camp
    -Got really good scores on the SAT, subject tests, and AP tests
    -Got to perform my first featured part in a show (a doll in the Nutcracker!)
    -Quit my dance studio and went back to my old one
    -Took a break from pointe…and then got back on pointe

Wow, that's all for now, and that's a lot! This is definitely a good idea!! It made me feel so much better.

December 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

YAAAAAS !! THAT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES TOO HAHA *high fives* wow, you've accomplished so much in 2017, Grace!! GOOD FOR YOU. I didn't know you were into ballet so much… that's awesome! THE NUTCRACKER IS MY FAVORITE EVER. I've had a deep appreciation for that ballet ever since I was like 4 years old :'') I HOPE YOU HAVE THE BEST YEAR EVER <3 thank you so much for reading!

January 3, 2018 at 6:15 pm
  • Reply Audrey Caylin

GIRL YOU ARE ON FIRE THIS IS LITERALLY SO AWESOME AAAAAHHHH I'M JUST INTERNALLY SCREAMING RIGHT NOW (I'd scream out loud but idk who's still asleep in my house xD).
    Things I accomplished in 2017:
    – I wrote four books from scratch
    – I tested out of American History II (CLEP exam, so I won't have to do history in college again)
    – I GOT MY LICENSE
    – I did a TON of hiking and survived a summer of being extremely active and I loved it
    – I FILMED TWO VLOGS AND SURVIVED

Things I want to do in 2018:
    – send a novel to beta readers and maybe an editor
    – Get a job (haven't even told my parents I want to do this but hey I will eventually xD)
    – Test out of math and science. And then burn all my math books (the only kind of books I can burn with no regrets)
    – Read through the whole bible

Gosh, THIS WAS SO MOTIVATING THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I hope you have an awesome New Years *hugs*

December 30, 2017 at 5:15 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

AUDREY THIS COMMENT MADE MY DAY <3333 I WAS LITERALLY SMILING SO HARD WOW thank you!!!! *so many hugs* I'm so glad this post inspired you!!! FOUR BOOKS??? OMG YOU ARE SUPERHUMAN. *high fives* and omg congrats on your license!! THAT'S SO EXCITING. tbh I was so jealous of all your hiking posts!! it looks like you saw some beautiful places in 2017! 😀 AND YOUR NEW YEAR GOALS ARE STRAIGHT FIRE!! I can't wait to see all the awesome places you in 2018 — so proud of you, girl!! AND THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT <3

January 3, 2018 at 6:24 pm
  • Reply Faith Chapman

This is such an encouraging post. I made a short list of my 2017 accomplishments on Twitter the other day just because it's what all the cool kids were doing, and even those 280 characters made me feel better. It's awesome.

December 30, 2017 at 5:38 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

Aw, thank you so much, Faith! I'm so happy you liked this post! 😀 YOU KNOW WHAT'S UP. *high fives* I hope you have a blessed new year!!

January 3, 2018 at 6:25 pm
  • Reply Kendra Lynne

DUDE. This post. *fangirls* I want to read it again. YOU ARE ONE AWESOME PERSON.
    Thank you so much for the encouragement!!! <3

December 30, 2017 at 6:15 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH KENDRA <333 YOU'RE THE BEST :') happy new year!

January 3, 2018 at 6:27 pm
  • Reply Jasmine Grace

RIGHT NOW I JUST *HAVE* TO THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS YOU BLESSED PERSON (this reminds me a lot of Kalyn Nicholson's New Year's Resolution video o yt). It's SO awesome to look back and see just how much I've accomplished in this last year. SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED THAT HAS CHANGED ME IN SO MANY WAYS. And it's only because of God's grace and his strength that I didn't fall when bad things happened and I just wanted out; God's will trumps any other. I had things I wanted to get done, I had them written in my iPhone notes, and I checked them off whenever I did them (like getting dreadlocks (lowkey one of my favorites on the list)), and IT FELT AMAZING. When I look back at the list, I'm like heckin' wow God's good, I survived, and look at where 2017 brought me; I'm changed and I'm excited for this new year, not because this year is ending, but because 2018 is beginning. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING SO INSPIRING AND ENCOURAGING. I'm going to make a list of things tonight, but I just couldn't wait to thank you, doll. :))

December 30, 2017 at 6:51 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

SHKLDJSADJKLSAFKASDL;KA WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH JASMINE YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS COMMENT HAS BRIGHTENED MY DAY *hugs* thank you!!! I'm so so happy this post inspired you! and I totally feel the same way — like I've had a looooot of personal growth and learning this year. :') It's been good AND I'M STOKED FOR 2018 too!! IT'S GONNA BE GOOD. <3 so proud of you, girl!

January 3, 2018 at 6:35 pm
  • Reply Clarissa

1. I graduated high school with 48 college credits, and I'm now halfway to my bachelor's degree!

2. I turned 18. I'm an adult, say what?

3. I passed my driving test and only missed 2 points!

4. I started working a full time job (40 hours a week)

5. My two WIPs are now over 70,000 words.

This year hasn't been a great year, despite all those milestones. I want 2018 to be happier and better. But I'm not gonna make goals cuz I hate them. I'm just going to try! And dream! and reaaaaaacchhhh for what I want 🙂

Happy New Year Abbiee!

December 30, 2017 at 7:10 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

Wow, you've reached some pretty great milestones, Clarissa!! THAT IS AWESOME. GO YOU. And I totally feel ya. just reach for your dreams! EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. <3 I wish you a blessed and happy and wonderful 2018!

January 3, 2018 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Hanne T

Oh this is so true!! I'm a hardcore goals person (not so much a planner, but definitely a goals-oriented person). What I do is in my yearly wrap up posts (there's like literally 5 because I have so much to wrap up XD) is include with my New Years/Months Resolutions a list of things I learned (17 in 2017 etc) and also a list of things I accomplished (started college classes! applied to college! got a job!) to balance it out.

Thank you for lighting up the world, Abbiee! You made a difference in my year, and thank you for that. Have a great hiatus and happy 2018!

December 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

OH MY GOODNESS HANNE I HAVE TEARS IN MY EYES YOU ARE SO ENCOURAGING <333 THANK YOU!! this comment brightened my day. And all your encouragement here and on Twitter has made a difference in MY year! :') *hugs* OOOH I TOTALLY NEED TO CHECK OUT YOUR POSTS ON THAT! sounds epic. I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AWESOME NEW YEAR. BETTER THAN EVER <3

January 3, 2018 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply Nabila

YES YES YES YES AND YES. I love this so much because I have thought so much of this before. Just like YES.

December 30, 2017 at 9:10 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

THANK YOU SO MUCH NABILA <3 YOU'RE AWESOME and I'm so looking forward to seeing what awesome things you accomplish this year! 😉 you go, girl!

January 3, 2018 at 6:41 pm
  • Reply Rosie C.

December 31, 2017 at 3:18 am

January 3, 2018 at 6:41 pm
  • Reply Lisa // Inkwell

THOSE GIFS THO XDD

but yeah… thanks for this post. You are so inspiring and hey. I believe in you 😉 rock on Abbie <3

(also enjoy your hiatus)

Lisa

December 31, 2017 at 3:59 am
    • Reply Abbiee

AW THANK YOU LISA <3 YOU'RE EPIC!! I hope you have a super blessed new year!

January 3, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply Keira

I'll admit, when I saw this post I was like, "Ah man, I just finished my goals list for 2018 and now Abbiee probably has this super convincing reason for me to throw it away." #kiddingofcourse

"you are capable of more than you could ever imagine" <<< girl, this is the kind of stuff God makes humans out of. He made us literally exploding with creativity and light and neurons. But most of the time we don't see it. I'm sure you know the phrase from Rob Bell…"if you tell people who they are, sooner or later they'll figure out what to do."

it's a balance of both, really: goals for the next year and proper appreciation for what you've already accomplished. It's all to easy to rush ahead of yourself, thinking that real accomplishment is just over the next hill, and not stopping to be present and realize how far you've come. I think it's our American culture speaking when we're tempted to bury the past. But it's actually wisdom to go back, learn from it, and appreciate where it's brought you.

Here's my list of accomplishments in 2017: (just a few because there were many more)

– I watched a lot of movies. Which means I got to analyze storytelling and plot, and I know this only helps me as a writer.

– I read three non-fiction books that are still with me and will continue to influence my life

– I started a blog and made internet friends : )

– I wrote 40k for NaNoWriMo

– I raised a pair of kid goats

– I learned a lot about the world and culture and how people think. Which is good but it also makes everything more complex because you realize that the world isn't always 1+1=2.

I hope you have the best 2018 ever, girl.
    *sends hugs*
    k.

December 31, 2017 at 4:13 am
    • Reply Abbiee

HAHA KEIRA I LOVE YOU xD ASDFGHJKLSD THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED THIS POST! and omg I didn't remember that quote but SKLJDLKSAJ I LOVE IT SO MUCH AHHHH :'''') YES x10000!! and this omg you're right on: "It's all to easy to rush ahead of yourself, thinking that real accomplishment is just over the next hill, and not stopping to be present and realize how far you've come." < I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. this is the vicious cycle that I always seem to get myself caught in… always thinking about the next thing I have to do and never celebrating the cool things I've done already!

YAAAAS I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT ANALYZING MOVIES. literally one of the single most things that helps me as a writer. *nods vigorously* wow you accomplished so much in 2017!! LIKE EVEN THESE "FEW" THINGS… SO COOL. you deserve all the waffles! <3 I hope you have an incredibly blessed year!

January 3, 2018 at 6:54 pm
  • Reply Lydia S

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE EPIC REMINDERS! It’s so so important to have a balance between goals/ reality!! This post just helps me remember that 2017 was not a failure, I learned so much through the tough spots and looking back I can see how fun and special this year was. Thank you so much, Happy New Year! I can’t wait to see what’s next!
    Lydia

December 31, 2017 at 5:18 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

LYDIA I'M SO GLAD THIS POST INSPIRED YOU <333 literally I felt the same way! there were a lot of difficult things I went through in 2017…but it was also so awesome! and I learned a lot so that is a benefit…even if I learned some things the hard way. :") HAPPY NEW YEAR <3 I hope 2018 is awesome for you!

January 3, 2018 at 6:56 pm
  • Reply Evangeline Yackel

Before I make my Resolutions and Goals for the coming year, I'm going to write a list of Accomplishments! 😀 This post is full of good advice.

How crazy is it that it's almost 2018?? But it's been an amazing year for me. 🙂

December 31, 2017 at 6:39 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

EEEEP I'M SO GLAD THIS POST INSPIRED YOU EVANGELINE <333 and that's so awesome that you feel good about 2017! *high fives* May you have a blessed new year!!! 😀

January 3, 2018 at 6:57 pm
  • Reply Grace Osas

Hey Abbiee.

At first, I was a little worried about writing down my achievements. But now that I've finally finished my novel (four hours before the Irish New Year)… I actually feel accomplished xD I feel accomplished because I was struggling to finish the first draft since 2014! :O So Thank God for giving me strength!

And I also read 61 books this year.

December 31, 2017 at 8:42 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

THAT IS SO AWESOME, GRACE! GOOD FOR YOU. *high fives and waffles* you should feel so accomplished! and you read 61 BOOKS?? WOW. I barely managed 17 I think… but I hope to read more next year. xD Thank you so much for reading, girl!

January 3, 2018 at 6:58 pm
  • Reply Abby M.

This is so good!!
    2016 was a rather unhappy one for me, I kept forcing myself into situations that made me uncomfortable or depressed just because i thought that was what other people expected from me. So for 2017 my goal was to chose happiness more often and to avoid toxic situations like that and surround myself with positivity. And i think i did a pretty good job! I'd like to keep that rolling through 2018. 🙂 Happy new year!! Enjoy your break!!

December 31, 2017 at 10:31 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

EEEP I'M SO HAPPY THIS POST SPOKE TO YOU ABBY <3 thank you for reading! that's so cool that you were able to listen to your needs and surround yourself with positivity — literally SO SO IMPORTANT. 🙂 good for you, girl!! I hope you have a blessed and wonderful 2018! *hugs*

January 3, 2018 at 7:02 pm
  • Reply Erin Marie

This post is so motivating and I love it! I really struggle with negative thinking and being my own biggest critic, so this was really relevant for me! I am going to make a list in my journal of all the great things I accomplished in 2017 and reflect on that. 🙂 Approaching goals and the new year (and just life in general) with a positive mindset is so electric. I love it! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I hope you have a great blogging break and wonderful new year!

January 1, 2018 at 9:20 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

I'M SO HAPPY YOU COULD RELATE TO THIS POST ERIN <3333 I agree 100% it's SUPER electric to approach goals with positivity!! SO IMPORTANT. I'm so so glad this inspired you!! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL ENCOURAGING WORDS 🙂 have a beautiful new year!

January 3, 2018 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply Meaghan Rutherford

So good and so true. The only problem I have is trying to remember what the heck I did last January or February or November.

January 2, 2018 at 3:11 am
    • Reply Abbiee

I DEFINITELY KNOW THAT STRUGGLE. :''') I hope to be better at keeping a journal this year xD

January 3, 2018 at 7:06 pm
  • Reply Vanessa

THIS POST IS AWESOME! You are such an encouraging human! I always appreciate the things you have to say!

January 3, 2018 at 1:15 am
    • Reply Abbiee

AW THANK YOU SO MUCH VANESSA <33 YOU'RE AN ENCOURAGING HUMAN TOO *hugs* have a blessed new year!!

January 3, 2018 at 7:07 pm
  • Reply Lisa

AAAHHH BEAUTIFUL NEW DESIGN AND WEBSITE, ABBIE; I LOVE IT!!!!! 😀 YOUR AESTHETIC IS ALWAYS SO GORGEOUS AND … oh just one question. Your posts won’t show up in my blogger feed anymore, will they? It doesn’t really matter, cos I’m email subscribed anyway, but this is WordPress, right? BUT JUST … IT’S LOVELY <333

January 18, 2018 at 9:48 pm
    • Reply Abbiee

Thank you so much, Lisa!!! I’M SO HAPPY YOU LIKE THE NEW DESIGN. No, unfortunately my posts won’t show up in the Blogger feed any more (this is indeed WordPress) but if you’re subscribed then you’ll get posts right to your inbox! 😉 Thank you for sticking around, dear!! Your comments always brighten my day.

January 19, 2018 at 11:02 am